Tuesday, November 10, 2015

My Facial Oil Story

I used to never really moisturize my face because I always thought, "What's the point? I have oily skin, it'll moisturize itself!" or "All the moisturizers I've used never did anything so I don't think it'll make much of a difference." The only moisturizing product I would actually use on my face was a moisturizing sunscreen I would apply it every morning, and little old me thought that was enough. Boy, was I wrong, but we'll get into more of that in a bit.


My beloved rosehip/almond oil in all its glory

Flashback to winter/holiday season 2014! *cue flashback/dream sequence music* You know how Sephora comes out with those holiday kits that have mini sample sized products of all the awesome (but expensive) goodies? Yeah, those ones. Well, we decided to get the skincare gift set thing this time around. Now that box contained a bunch of stuff, things that did appeal to me and things that did not.Though I didn't exactly start using any moisturizing products because of that box, I was inspired to start using a serum, day cream, and night cream before my usual sunscreen. So that led to a mad research/hunt of finding the best serum day/night creams are for oily skin.


After some late night Pinterest browsing, (btw follow us on Pinterest if you aren't already) I came across a pin that said something along the lines of "using facial oils for perfect skin". The next morning, right when I woke up, I told my mom about this and she said "Yeah, I saw that on Pinterest". Apparently, I was late getting on that bandwagon. (TFTI Mom.. okay not really an invite situation but you know what I mean!) So of course, I began scouring the depths of Pinterest to see what oils would work on my oily face so I can achieve perfect skin. 


Basically, all of the articles or pins I came across were nicely organized and broke down what oils to use for what skin type (I will go into further detail on this in a future post). I skimmed down to the Oily Skin section and was smacked in the face with the words "Rosehip Oil" in every single link I clicked on. Then, because I had never heard of rosehip oil in my life, I had to do more research on that.

To make it short, rosehips are the fruits of rose plants, those little tomato looking things that form after a rose falls off and dies. Those things that you have to cut off the plant so new roses grow. Make sense? A simple Google search will do the trick if I'm speaking some uncomprehendable language. Anyways, somehow, they make oil with those things and that oil is amazing. I came across this Huffington Post article and it said Miranda Kerr credits rosehip oil to her radiant complexion. Another article also read Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Middleton, and Victoria Beckham also swear by this stuff to keep their skin loverly*. Alright, say no more, all these ladies have fabulous skin, so I'm sold.

Since we were in that DIY-ing phase (still kinda are tbh) my mom said she was going to make the rosehip oil. She found some recipe on, you guessed it, Pinterest, and went on her way. The recipe was a mix of almond oil and rosehip oil, but mostly consisted of almond (95% almond oil and 5% rosehip oil). Unfortunately, I wasn't around for the making process so I don't exactly know what went on there. Within the first week of using it (I use it twice a day, a very light layer in the morning after i cleanse my face, and a heavy layer at night before bedtime) I noticed a significant difference. My redness on my cheeks was basically gone, the texture and tone of my skin was smooth and evened out, and I had very few, if any, blemishes. I also noticed a significant decrease in the oil on my face! Score!!!!!

Seeing how this 5% rosehip oil to 95% almond oil completely changed my skin, I can only imagine what pure rosehip oil would do. (I'm trying it once I run out of this homemade one) The certified organic bottles run for about $20 to $40 for about a 15 mL bottle depending on the brand so that's something to keep in mind (do your research!!) But, I highly suggest you invest in the organic oils because its your skin and you want to put only good quality products on it. 

Rosehip oil is said to be super light so it absorbs quickly (a plus for us oily-skinned girls!) It helps with hydration, acne, eczema, wrinkles, dark spots/hyperpigmentation, and even provides hydration* (it's for for you dry-skinned girls too! Essentially, this stuff is amazing for everyone.

I know for a fact, that I have converted to an oil as a moisturizer/skin treatment user for life and I cannot wait to try out different oils for my skin. Let me know, have you ever used an oil for your skin? How'd you like it? What oil(s) did you use? Any I should try?

Until next time!
xx, Navshin

P.S. I found a bunch of info from these articles, check them out!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/07/rosehip-seed-oil-benefits_n_3375871.html
http://magazine.foxnews.com/food-wellness/can-rosehip-oil-give-you-supermodel-skin
*Facts credited to the aforementioned articles

No comments:

Post a Comment